We are the literal spirit children of God
"We believe that he is our Father in heaven, literally; that we are his spirit offspring; that we dwelt with him in the preexistent eternities, were taught by him, saw his face, knew of the terms and conditions that apply to the plan of salvation..."
-Bruce R. McConkie, Conference Talk, pg5, October 3, 1954
God does not have spirit children. Jesus is his only son.
Book of Mormon
- Alma 5:48 "I say unto you, that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name."
- Alma 12:33 "But God did call on men, in the name of his Son, (this being the plan of redemption which was laid) saying: If ye will repent and harden not your hearts, then will I have mercy upon you, through mine Only Begotten Son"
- Section 49:5 "Thus saith the Lord; for I am God, and have sent mine Only Begotten Son into the world for the redemption of the world, and have decreed that he that receiveth him shall be saved, and he that receiveth him not shall be damned--"
- Section 76:13 "Even those things which were from the beginning before the world was, which were ordained of the Father, through his Only Begotten Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, even from the beginning;"
Pearl of Great Price
- Moses 6:52 "And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you."
- Moses 7:50 "And it came to pass that Enoch continued his cry unto the Lord, saying: I ask thee, O Lord, in the name of thine Only Begotten, even Jesus Christ, that thou wilt have mercy upon Noah and his seed, that the earth might never more be covered by the floods."
- John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
- John 3:18 "...because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."
- 1 Corinthians 15:45-47 "So it is written: 'The first man Adam became a living being,' the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. The spritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven." I John 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."
- I John 4:9 "...God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him."